See What's New

Monday, July 4, 2022

As We Go Along, Ch. 14

 I just about jumped out of my skin. I turned left and right in my chair. "Who's there?" I asked. Was there another invisible person in the room?

I am not invisible, Madalyn. Stay calm.

A wave of relaxation washed over me like I'd never felt before. I leaned back in the overstuffed chair and collected myself. "Who are you?" I asked. "How are you doing this?"

You do not have to speak aloud for me to hear you. I am Kevayss. As for how I can speak to you, you already know.

Magic. Right. Lemme get this straight, I thought. You, Magicky-Lady, can read my thoughts, and talk to me, and change my emotions--all without my permission.

Yes, Kevayss said. You could expel and banish me, if you wished. You do not know the correct spell, but one of your companions could tell it to you. However, I suspect you will not rid yourself of me yet.

Oh yeah? And why's that? I thought.

You have the spirit of curiosity in you, and you know little of me yet, she said.

True, I conceded. Okay, then. Who are you and why are you talking in my head?

​I am the magic-user Kevayss. I speak to you from the Darkwood, where I and the last vestiges of Chaeselor's magic reside. I speak because I need a magic-user whom I can trust.

This is starting to sound pretty sus, I thought. Why me? Why not Colin?

There are few magic-users left in Chaeselor. As for Colin, he has been corrupted, and his power does not rival yours. You may be the only one able to help me.

Corrupted? I asked. I closed my eyes so I could focus on the conversation.

By no fault of his own, Kevayss said. He has been here too long. The beliefs of this world have seeped into him. He would not help me if I came to him.

Well, that was clear as pea soup. What beliefs? I asked.

The belief that there is an evil magic-user in the Darkwood. There is not. I am the only magic-user who resides there, and my only goal is to preserve Chaeselor's magic, she said sadly.

By making the trees die and it be dark and cold all the time? I asked. Yeah. Right.

You mistake me for the dryads, Kevayss said.

Dryads? The ones I've been hearing?

The same. Do not listen to them, she said.

I can't understand them, and anyway, they sound scared, not evil.

They are scared, Kevayss said. They fear the Fading, which is killing them. In their desperacy to retain their magic and their lives, they have drained the trees of the Darkwood of their life-force, stealing the warmth and light from the air as trees grow fewer. They have nearly exhausted even this supply, and now wish to lure magic-users into the Darkwood to take their power and life.

Well, that wasn't freaky at all. Wait--aren't YOU in the Darkwood? How come they haven't killed you?

I am protected by powerful spells, which also protect other magical beings that have taken refuge from the Fading. The Darkwood is the heart of Chaeselor, and the Fading has not reached us yet. I am trapped here, and I need your aid.

I felt deep pity for this woman. She sounded sincere. But I wasn't sure what I could do. I'm sorry, but I don't know how I can help you. I'm just a kid, and I barely know anything about magic. Besides, if I go to the Darkwood, won't the dryads get me?

I would never ask you to risk your life in the Darkwood, untrained as you are. I only wish to know the contents of a certain book, which is kept in a library in a city not far from where you now reside.

Going to a library--I actually had some experience with that. What's in the book? I asked.

A spell, Kevayss said. It is very powerful and ancient. It can stop the Fading--perhaps even reverse its effects.

I thought of Braydon, Carrington, and Vesperzo. Was there a chance they could become magic-users again? Why hasn't anyone tried this before? I thought.

Because almost no one knows it exists, and many who do know believe it would upset the natural order of things. But Madalyn, so many magical beings are dying. I cannot stand by and allow this to happen, if there is any chance that I can stop it. If you tell me the contents of the book, I can perform the spell and revive the Darkwood--redeem Chaeselor, she said.

Sounds good to me, I thought. What's the name of the city?

Karazmuth, Kevayss said. The library is the largest building in the city. It has a dome. The book is as thick as your finger and is covered in purple cloth. The spell I require is not the only spell in the book, but it should be clearly labeled.

Okay, thanks, I thought. I'll see if I can get into the city.

Madalyn, please allow this to remain secret. Your companions may not wish to halt the Fading or may not believe in it in the first place. They may try to stop you.

I remembered how reverently Braydon had spoken of the Fading. Even for the sake of his own magic, would he want to stop it? Prob'ly not. Okay. It might take me a little while.

Hurry, Madalyn. The protective spells may not hold much longer. I must go. Simply think my name to speak to me again.

I'll do my best, I thought. Thanks. Bye.

"Madalyn? Why are you glowing?"

My eyes flew open. Colin was standing in the doorway, staring at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, fellow writers! I love it when we can inspire each other and help one another grow. With this in mind, keep it friendly and on-topic.
Have a great day! ;)