See What's New

Monday, October 31, 2022

No Rhyme or Reason

 No Rhyme or Reason
Meaning: without apparent purpose or organization; chaotic, irrational. Sometimes phrased, "neither rhyme nor reason."
Origin: I'm sure all you underappreciated writers out there can relate to this tale. The phrase originates with the poet Edmund Spenser, who wrote a collection of poems for Queen Elizabeth I and was not paid (given what is "reason") on time. He sent Her Majesty another poem in response:
"I was promised on a time
To have reason for my rhyme
For that time unto this season
I received nor rhyme nor reason."
Sentence: "There was no rhyme or reason to Marjorie's favorite playlist."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, fellow writers! I love it when we can inspire each other and help one another grow. With this in mind, keep it friendly and on-topic.
Have a great day! ;)