See What's New

Monday, May 1, 2023

Tips for Long Writing Sessions

So you have several writing-related tasks to accomplish--edit a chapter, write so many words in your WIP, post on your blog, answer the weekly writing prompt--and you just want to sit down and knock them all out at once. However, that's a grueling task. You're in it for the long haul. No matter how much you enjoy any of these tasks on a normal day, the idea of doing them all at once is exhausting. Nevertheless, you embark on a long, focused writing session--a "sprint," as it's often called.

Long sprints are hard. It's tempting to cut your goals in half, skip items on the list, succumb to myriad distractions, or just not do your best work. So here are a few tips for getting the most out of your long writing sessions:

1. Know Thine Schedule. When you have a long to-do list, you need a long space of time in which to do it. Wait until a weekend or a free afternoon, so your sprint doesn't get cut short. Hand-in-hand with this is the idea of knowing your most productive hours. I write best at night, but editing is best done earlier in the day, so depending on the contents of my sprint, I might time it differently.

2. Prioritize for Productivity. If you have five different tasks on your to-do list, it's tempting to start with the fun ones and procrastinate on the less-pleasant activities. But if you leave the hardest stuff for last, you'll be tired and more likely to put it off until later. So prioritize your to-do list. Write down all the stuff you have to do, and think about each item. If there's a deadline attached, move it to the top. The sooner the deadline, the higher on the list it is. To keep your list manageable, ask yourself about non-deadline tasks, "Will anything disastrous happen if I don't do this today?" If the answer is no, make it optional or skip it altogether. Do I really need to type 5000 words today? No. Off the list. Do I need to do my math homework? Absolutely yes. Top of the list.

3. Sit Down Already! You've found a comfortable place to write where you can plug in your laptop. You've connected your earbuds and hit "play" on your writing playlist. You've marked your start time and invited any of your online buddies to sprint with you. (This added accountability measure is where a writing community, such as Writer's Vision or the Young Writer's Workshop, comes in handy.) Now all that's left is to start. So start already. This can be the hardest part--that time between posting our start time and actually starting. You check your social notifs, skip a song you don't like, hem and haw over an open Word doc. None of that is productive. Tell yourself, sitzfleisch: butt-glue. Your butt is glued to the chair until you accomplish your first task, however long that takes. Which brings me to my next point...

4. Build in Breaks and Rewards. Long sprints can be frustrating, especially if you're interrupted when you're in the groove. But too much sitzfleisch can be a bad thing, for your eyes, your back, and your general health. Not only that, but without breaks, you'll burn out quickly. Find a routine that works for you. Every hour, I pause for a fifteen-minute break to rest my eyes, unload the dishwasher, write a letter, or read a few pages of a book. Get away from your to-do list and give yourself a break. And if some of your tasks are distinctly unpalatable, build in rewards, as well. Sometimes before I sprint, I'll grab a handful of chocolates and set them out on my desk in groupings: One chocolate when I've made my bed. Two when I've cleaned the toilet. One when I've answered the writing prompt. One when I've finished my literature reading. Two when I've edited a chapter. Set rewards for yourself that are relative to how unlikeable your tasks are. Give yourself something to work towards, beyond the satisfaction of completing a list.

5. Distraction Mitigation Techniques: Because sometimes focusing is difficult. Here are a few ideas:

  • Close your door. It's a deceptively simple trick. Lock it, if that's an option. Hang up a Do Not Disturb sign. (I used to make my own signs out of cardboard until my mom got me a plastic one for Christmas.)
  • Find a space of your own. This works well if closing the door isn't an option--say, if you share a room with siblings. Maybe you head upstairs to the game room, or into the spare bedroom, or to the empty kitchen or living room. Anywhere that's unoccupied will do. Weather (and tasks) permitting, you could even go outdoors. I've brainstormed plots in the duck run and read school assignments in trees.
  • Close unnecessary tabs. If you don't ABSOLUTELY NEED a tab, close it. Same with apps. If Pinterest is closed, you won't be as tempted to scroll. When I work, I keep three tabs and two apps open. Basically, if it isn't immediately contributing to your goals, get rid of it.
  • Find someone to keep you accountable. I mentioned writing communities above, but all you really need is one other person. Text a writer-friend and ask if they'd like to sprint with you. Mark your start times and end times together. Report when you've checked off a task, and ask how their own list is going. Hard work is better with good friends.
  • Turn off notifs. Lots of phones and computers have "focus settings" that allow you to choose which notifications you see. If you don't want to be distracted by new emails or Insta likes, tell your computer to ignore them for a while. You can always change these settings back later. (There are also programs that will manage apps and focus for you, but I don't know any good free ones, so I won't recommend any. If you know one, put it in the comments below!)
I hope these tips help you manage your time and get more productivity out of your long writing sessions! Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, fellow writers! I love it when we can inspire each other and help one another grow. With this in mind, keep it friendly and on-topic.
Have a great day! ;)