See What's New

Monday, May 2, 2022

Anagrams

 So maybe I'm just a giant nerd, but throughout daily life I like to rearrange words in my head, a game properly called anagrams. I'll see a street sign, a book title, a business name--anything, really--and almost unconsciously I'll start to toy with the letters. This is especially fun to do with people's names.

Examples: Delia--ideal (on the spine of a book), Maedgen--endgame (on a sign in someone's yard), Taub--abut (on the credits for a TV show).

Sometimes it takes a little while to figure out. Maedgen took me a few minutes (I was in the car and really bored). But it's always rewarding to find the perfect order of letters: an "AHA!" moment.

It's also a useful skill. I play a lot of Scrabble (and occasionally Wordle), and a working knowledge of how different letters can be rearranged comes in handy. 

Okay, so maybe "useful" is the wrong word... this isn't a very practical skill in real life. But it's fun and gets even better when it works in conjunction with a large vocabulary. So yeah, I'm just a giant nerd. But next time you're in the car and really bored, try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, fellow writers! I love it when we can inspire each other and help one another grow. With this in mind, keep it friendly and on-topic.
Have a great day! ;)